Cucumber Sandwich – Asian-Style

Asian Style Cucumber Sandwich

Growing up, I cannot tell you how many cucumber sandwiches I had.  There are too many to count.

So, now, I am ready for a completely modern version of the cucumber sandwich.

I bet you are ready for one too

Asian Style Cucumber Sandwich is like nothing you have ever tasted! It is definitely not your grandmother’s cucumber sandwich.  The flavors are a blend of sweet, sour and salty goodness.

For this recipe, I decided to add some Asian flavoring to make it more interesting.  I have always had spicy cucumber sandwich, so, I thought I would keep this recipe on the spicy end.

There is soy sauce and sriracha sauce in which the vegetables will be marinated.  Doesn’t that sound delicious?

I am getting hungry just writing about it.

To round out the taste, I topped it with pistachio sauce.

Cream cheese still remains the base in this recipe.  I find the texture of it to be completely compatible with any sandwich

Asian Style Cucumber Sandwich - classic tea sandwich turned into a delicious summer picnic sandwich

I wanted to keep this an easy cucumber sandwich without too much fuss.  You can put it into a picnic basket and enjoy it in the park, just like any other sandwich.

The Srirarcha Sauce is definitely the star of this recipe.  I enjoyed eating a mildly spicy version of this sandwich.

It got a little messy when eating the sandwich, but, that didn’t stop me from devouring it all at once.

The red bell pepper and the cucumber add a wonderful crunch to this sandwich.  Even the onions retained their flavor and crunch.  So, I hope I have sold you on this sandwich by now.  If not, I will have to bring it to your home and share it with you.

Check out my cucumber salad recipe too.

How often do you eat cucumber sandwiches?

A brief history of tea sandwiches – By Saveur

How to make Asian Style Cucumber Sandwich

Cucumber Sandwich – Asian-Style

Rating: 51

Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes

Yield: 2 Sandwiches

Serving Size: 2

Cucumber Sandwich – Asian-Style

This is not your grandmother's cucumber sandwich! I took a Classic British Sandwich & added an Asian Flare to it. Added more vegetables to make it healthy!

Ingredients

1 Red Pepper

1 Red onion

1 Cup of Shredded Carrots

1 Cucumber

½ cup of unsalted pistachios removed from their shell

4 Ounces of Cream Cheese (lite is better, but, you can use the full-fat version too)

4 Wheat rolls

2 tsp of Soy Sauce

1 tsp of Sriracha Sauce

½ tsp of lemon juice

1 tsp of salt

3 tsp of sugar

1 tsp of freshly ground pepper

Instructions

Pre-Preparation
  1. In a mixing bowl, add the soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  2. Heat the mixed ingredients in the microwave for no more than 10 seconds.
  3. Stir the dressing well and allow to marinate for 2 hours or overnight in the fridge
  4. Preparation
  5. Cut the Red Onions and Red Bell Pepper into julienne style cuts
  6. Peel the cucumber skin and cut into thin round pieces
  7. Roughly crush the pistachios
  8. In a mixing bowl, mix the vegetables
  9. Add the soy sauce dressing to the vegetables and toss lightly but make sure all the vegetables are well coated
  10. Set aside the mixture for about 30 minutes
  11. Cut the wheat roll into half
  12. Spread the cream cheese on the inside of each roll
  13. Start by layering one of the rolls with the cucumber
  14. Top with the remaining vegetables
  15. Add the pistachios on the top of the sandwich
  16. Close the top bun and cut into half
  17. Follow the same assembly steps for the rest of the wheat rolls
  18. Serve the cucumber sandwich immediately

Notes

Total time to prepare For the dressing – Minimum of 2 hours of marinating time For Marinating the Vegetables – 30 minutes To assemble the sandwich – 10 minutes

Comments

1. says

Gardenias are my Favorite too! Although I don’t know that I have your nose for them, a single gardenia in a fish market? WOW! Great Post! Thanks for sharing this special little story with us! It was Great read :)

2. says

Hello Rini! So happy to see this scrumptious sandwich at our Linky #TheWeekendSociial. Your touching story hit my heart as I know a few people battling with Alzheimer’s devastating effects in their lives. Please stop by next week. Always welcome!

• says

Hello, KC. Thank you for your comments. Alzheimer is a devastating disease and I won’t wish it upon my worst enemy. Stories like those touch my heart every day.

3. says

Love this. My husband and I were just talking bout how smells really bring you back to a place or time like few other senses can. I know the smell of bandaids makes me think of Mexico, Missouri. And also of insulin. Curry makes me think of my sister in laws apartment. Salt water makes me think of my children and their sweet kiddo smell after a day on the beach.

I’m soooo making this today too!!!

4. says

This is a wonderful post and the cucumber sandwich recipe is delicious. I can’t wait to make this with all the delicious flavors and crunch. Thanks so much for sharing this with Foodie Friends Friday Party this week. I’ve pinned and shared.

We look forward to seeing you again next week,
    A FFF co-host,
    Joanne

5. says

Loved the pics. Loved the post. Loved the association of scent and memories. I have a strong sense of smell and everything I smell reminds me of something! My hubby says my nose is my curse and my salvation. No better smell than babies — yes, even the poopy pants. I love puppy breath and remember when my precious girls were pups – now they are 14 and 18 – breath isn’t so nice now.

Great job.

Carol @ Battered Hope

• says

Thank you, Carol! LOL! I have never heard anyone say that they love puppy’s breath! That is very refreshing to hear and more power to you for saying that. I think I, too, am beginning to like puppy’s breath after reading your comments.

6. says

You are so right about memories being associated to scents. There are so many!
    Cake being baked in moms kitchen, an after shave of an ex boyfriend, a mixture of orange blossoms and kerosene at Ben Gurion Airport (Tel Aviv, Israel), tons of freshly roasted coffee beans at SBUX’s roasting plant, the saltiness of the ocean,…
    I am glad you got to know your friend’s father when he was in full bloom, so to speak. How great that his son carries on with the anniversary tradition of giving his wife a rose!

• says

Thank you, Tamara. I know exactly what you mean by baking cakes in the kitchen. That is one of my favorite aromas coming from the kitchen, especially if there is cinnamon in the recipe. Thank you for your lovely words about my friend’s father. He was a great man in his hay day. His son is following his footsteps in many ways and that makes it easier to bear.

7. says

First of all, I love the association between the sense of smell and memories. Lilacs remind me of growing up.
    And I just love the cucumber sandwich. Reminds me of High Tea but kicked up a notch. Can’t wait to try it.