There is nothing like mushrooms and pistachios. It is an aphrodisiac match made in heaven!
Pistachios are known to be aphrodisiacs for men. Pistachios belong to the Anacardiaceae family which is a cousin to the cashews. Pistachio trees can give fruit for 200 years. It was a symbol of verility in many ancient cultures. I am discovering that Americanpistachios.org is a wonderful source of information for pistachios.
Mushrooms, on the other hand, work miracles on women! They have a potency that makes us all happy. Ancient cultures used to make women go out and get wild mushrooms. Eventually, women would eat them on their way back and find that they were very “ecstatic” after consuming these fungus.
So, I decided to bring these two aphrodisiacs into a creamy mushroom sauce recipe just to see what kind of taste would be produced.
The results? A taste explosion of EPIC proportions!!
I used 3 different types of mushrooms in this creamy mushroom sauce recipe just to see what kind of flavor I can add to a classic recipe. The mushrooms I used were Portobello, Button and shiitake mushrooms. This turned out to be a great combination of mushrooms. The Portobello mushrooms provided a “meatiness” to the dish, The Button mushrooms provided a natural saltiness to the dish and the shitake gave the mushrooms a smokey flavor.
The pistachios topped the creamy mushroom sauce recipe by supplying a nutty and slightly spicy flavor to the dish. They also provided a wonderful crunchy surprise to the sauce. The dish gives you a very heady feeling when consumed with pasta. I suggest you enjoy it with your date or significant other. Where the flavor leads, you never know……
This creamy mushroom sauce is best served with pasta, but, I decided to serve it with a unique ravioli recipe. You w
ill get to see this recipe very soon on my site.
In the meantime, let me show you how I made my very aprhodisiac-y creamy mushroom sauce.
If you have any suggestions on aprhodisiac ingredients that you use
on your significant other in your recipe
Recipe Details (Makes 2 cups of Creamy Mushroom Sauce)
Total Time to Prepare (25 Minutes)
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 2 cups of button mushrooms, stalks removed
- 4-5 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of pistachios, shelled
- 1 tsp dried oregano (if you have fresh oregano, use that instead)
- 1 tsp dried parsely
- 1 tsp of fresh or dried basil
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 2 Thai chilies (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 3 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Coriander for garnish
- 1 cup of water
- Gently wash and remove the black stuff from the portobello mushroom’s bottoms. This stuff ruins any recipe, especially a creamy mushroom sauce
- Wash the portobello mushrooms thoroughly and then dry them very well. Otherwise, the creamy mushroom sauce will be a watery sauce
- Wash the Shiitake mushrooms and allow to dry
- Crush the garlic cloves finely
- Crush the Thai chilies finely. Remove as many of the seeds as you can.
- Chop the portobello mushrooms lengthwise and then half them.
- Chop the button mushrooms into thin strips and the set aside
- Chop the shiitake mushrooms into pieces and set aside
- In a medium saucepan, add the olive oil and allow it to heat
- Add the crushed garlic
- If you are using the chopped Thai chilies, add them with the garlic
- Allow the garlic to brown a little. This will add flavor to the creamy mushroom sauce
- When the garlic is brown, add all the chopped mushrooms to the oil and turn down the heat to medium
- Do not touch the mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Allow them to cook on a slow-medium heat
- After 5 minutes, sprinkle half of the salt and leave the mushrooms for an0ther five minutes
- Add the oregano, basil and parsley herbs to the mushrooms
- Stir the mushrooms now slowly. If you are a pro at air-tossing the mushrooms using the pan and hand motion, go for it. This method is going to be very effective in coating the mushrooms with all the spices and salt.
- When the mushrooms have shrunk to half their size, turn up the heat a little. Allow the mushrooms to crisp a little
- Add the pistachios and stir well. Allow the pistachios to brown a little because it will release their wonderful flavor
- Add the heavy cream to the mushrooms no, while keeping the heat to medium
- Add the water to the creamy mushroom sauce now and let it boil a little
- Remove the mushrooms from the heat and add the freshly crushed black pepper
That is it! You are now ready to serve the creamy mushroom sauce with your favorite pasta! Or, you could wait until Thursday and serve it with a wonderful ravioli dish that I am going to be posting on that day.